Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Music...a part of my core

Posted by Winz

I love classic Rock n Roll......of course I'm not an expert or something in the old rock eras, but I'm always open to trying out new 'oldie' bands or artists.
One thing always bugs me and that is the bashing of my choices in Rock by people who claim that the bands/artists I like are not true rockers as compared to artists like Cradle of Filth, Slayer, Iced Earth and the like.
Now heavy metal is popular sub-genre of rock, I completely agree with it. It has its own fan following but its certainly not for me! I get headaches from listening to artists like these. But I always feel annoyed when fans of this genre keep whining that heavy metal artists are "the gods of rock" and artists I prefer and love are bullshit!
While my tolerance for heavy metal is low.....I do like some goth based and light metal songs. I've developed a slight interest in 'shock rock' recently but that's also not as much as I like ordinary hard rock bands!


For most who don't know my preference here's a list of artists/bands I enjoy listening to:
Bon Jovi (my ultimate favourite....deserves a separate post....will add later!)
Led Zeppelin (unquestionably my 2nd favourite band)
The Who (newest 'oldie' to my ever growing list of favourites)
Kiss
Van Halen
Scorpions
Deep Purple
Eric Clapton (he's one of my mum's fave artists....grew up listening to most of his songs!)
Janis Joplin
Jimi Hendrix
Def Leppard
The Rolling Stones
Aerosmith
Creedance Clearwater Revival
Skid Row (older songs mostly...when Sebastian Bach was still in the band)
Poison
Cinderella
Ratt
FireHouse
Roxette
Heart
Rainbow
Eagles (also coz of my mum!)
Red Hot Chili Peppers(only alt.rock band like)
Evanescence(only new band I like)

and a host more I can't recollect now......

Bands I'd like to try (within the next month) include: INXS, Sex pistols, Twisted Sister, Tesla and I want to try more of Black Sabbath songs.
I also like independent works by any artist associated with any band I like...most fave being works of Richie Sambora (Bon Jovi) and Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin).

My mother's been a huge influence on my taste in the oldies. I grew up, like I mentioned listening to Eric Clapton, Phil Collins, Elton John, Tina Turner, Eagles, BeeGees, The Police and Rod Stewart to mention a few. I do like some songs by these artists (and more!) and have a soft spot for them even though I'm not a hard-core fan except perhaps for Clapton!
As mentioned before I like some Marilyn Manson and Alice Cooper songs (hence the credit of slightly liking shock rock!) but I'm certainly not a big fan!

To the contrary I don't like Guns and Roses very much (owing to the fact that Axl Rose's disposition makes me sick...though I admire Slash's guitaring skills...) or Nirvana (Kurt Cobain is over-rated to the max!) as they have enough fans around the world and won't miss my support very much! Most rock fans list them either seperately or together when they give their faves list......so its surprising I guess not to find them in mine.

The Beatles on the other hand...I'm not sure....I like some of their songs...but I'm not a huge fan of them! I prefer the Rolling Stones over them anyday!

Guess its enough rambling about this.....gotta grab something to eat. Adios!

0 comments: