Monday, January 19, 2009

Music...a part of my core

Posted by Winz

Now that its established that I love Classic Rock....I can go on to expressing more about my love for music.
My greatest regret is that I can't play any musical instrument, except a classical Indian one called the harmonium (if you don't know what it is or how it looks like just google it up! :))
I would love to learn how to play the guitar...Seriously its one of the coolest instruments out there.....a bit cliched but there you have it! I honestly love every twang of a guitar string, played the right way of course.....
One of my fantasies involves a guy of my dreams seducing me with a really loud rock song with a neat and passionate lil riff playing in the background.
One of the things which puzzles me is that how most of my peers seem to find rock music loud and un-hearable while they listen to the absolute crap of these days which they consider the best thing since potato chips!
They cannot seem to find the beauty hidden in the songs I seem to like.
Now here I'd like to insert a teeny bit of information: I don't like most of today's rock bands either....most of their lyrics are to 'whine-y' about how bad everything is, how hope is gone and almost every band's style is the same! Its really boring!
I love how every old band seem to have a distinct sound to them even if they were of the same eras!!!
There are some things I noticed about some bands I like (I think other fans can recognise them too) which I'd like to list here starting with my all time fave, Bon Jovi.
For eg:
Bon Jovi: there songs generally have two main verses, with the main chorus interspersed in between, with another small verse which comes mostly before the main guitar solo and ends with a repetition of the solo fading to the background or with a loud note.

Led Zeppelin: Characteristic trait: Long songs with beautiful solos....not only from guitars....from drums, flutes and what not and, mostly, very little amount of lyrics...with lots of sexy "ooohs" and "aahhhs" from Robert Plant.

Skid Row: Songs usually feature two main verses with the chorus in between and they end off with some gorgeous guitar solos.

Aerosmith: Loud, crazy, wonderful songs with lots of lyrics! Their type of songs really suit Steven Tyler's voice.

Kiss: two main verses.....occasional third verse and main chorus....songs usually end with a bang!

These are some of the things I noticed......funny how your mind sub-consciously picks up these lil details when you don't even realise it!
Till next time.....

0 comments: